• To acquire a method in order to efficiently prepare purchasing negotiations.
• To pilot each step of the negotiation process.
• To know the rules to follow and the traps to avoid.
• To learn some fundamentals in terms of communication, in order to persuade its negotiating partners.
The Context of the Negotiation
- Identify and validate the needs and objectives of our company
– Understand the suppliers’ market, position ourselves in regards to this market
– How to sell our needs and motivate the vendors
– Think TCO – Total Cost of Ownership
– How to determine an objective cost
Case study : supplier selection process, criteria definition and weighting
The three phases in negotiation
- What is a negotiation, why launching this process ?
– An Effective Negotiation : a win-win approach
– Preparing the negotiation : stakes, objectives, the balance of power, tactics, methods et strategies
– Conducting the negotiation meeting
Case study : negotiation case (video + group analysis)
Some fundamental elements of Communication
- Basics in Communication
– Nonverbal communication
– Active listening : how to fully understand a message
– Knowing ourselves to better negotiate
Test : how do I negotiate ?
Test : my behavior during a negotiation
From a given case, trainees will
– prepare a complex negotiation : stakes, objectives, course of the
– conduct the negotiation till an agreement is found
– analyze the results, compare them with the predefined objectives,
and with the ones of the counterparts
(video + debrief)
Commodity Buyers, Project Buyers.
Prerequisite : none